Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Let's Get This Party Started

Let's get this party started!  At long last the blog is born!  Long overdue but here we go!  Point...focus...shoot!

I'm not a musician and I don't play one on TV.  Hell, whether I'm actually qualified to call myself a photographer is open for debate as well!  I do know that I love taking pictures and I guess if you love what you're doing, you really can't go wrong.  Yes, I love taking pictures but not just any pictures but pictures of musicians and bands.  To get right down to it, I love taking pictures of top notch musicians who perform.  Theatrical rock bands do it best.  The costumes, make-up and lighting capture well.  Couple that with a true performer who knows how to move and, more importantly, who knows how to connect and BOOM!  You've got magic!  I love it!! I just can't get enough!

I started out years ago with a garden variety point and shoot.  I shot anything and everything but I could never achieve the quality image I was looking for so I upgraded to a fancy digital SLR with more features than I could possibly ever use!  I fell in love and never looked back!  On the advice and invitation of a friend I started shooting his band and that led to other picture taking opportunities.  That little piece of advice opened up a whole new world for me and I can't thank him enough!

Why band photography?  Its about the performance.  It's about the movement.  It's literally poetry in motion for me.  I take stills and some short clip video but what I love is capturing motion in the still shot.  When you look at the picture I want you to feel the movement in it.  It's a moment in mid-air.  For example, look at his hair in this picture.........



I love how it's moving, like it's blowing in the wind.  In this next one, look at the smoke and how it billows.  Look at how the heat of the color red accentuates the smoke.  Look at his facial expresion, do you wonder what he's thinking? 



Well, I was there and I know what he was thinking but, hey, I can't give away all the secrets!!

This last picture was a recent find.  It was buried in literally hundreds, maybe even over a thousand pictures of this one band.  I was searching for the right images to post in this first blog and this one just jumped out of the file at me.  At little editing, change in color scheme to enhance things a bit and....well.....I'll let you make up your mind...........




Personally, I find it hysterical!  Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!  See you at the show!!!!!

-Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment