Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Flesh and Metal, it's a Mardi Gras Party!!!


I was at Mardi Gras Multiclub in Cranston, RI last Saturday night.  Admittedly I don't get out much but WOW!  That place is a trip!!  Someone had tried to describe it to me prior to my going there and she said "Well, it's like Vegas".  Now I know exactly what she meant.  The neon in this place starts with the life-sized palm trees outside and just never ends as you move thru the 4 different clubs housed in this adult musical playground.  Let's just say that I'm glad I'm not paying their electric bill!

The building was visible from at least a 1/4 mile away and as we pulled up it was obvious that parking was not going to be an issue.  They have several free lots on the premises.  After paying the $8 cover to get into the complex we pushed thru the door and were instantly greeted with a deluge of more neon and a strong base beat.  Having never been there before, we had to stop a moment to get our vision in check.  The neon almost blinds you with overstimulation to the point where you feel like you are in a maze before your eyes finally adjust.  The layout includes Johnny Bahamas (dance club), The Diamond Rodeo (for country and western fans), and JR's Bourbon Street Rock House all on the first floor and then another dance club on the second level called The Monkey Bar.  We visited all of them before settling in at our final destination, JR's.  Thankfully, sound proofing between the rooms is excellent so that when you are doing the 2-step at the Rodeo you don't miss a beat from heavy metal crashing thru the walls.

We were there to see 2 bands.  Flesh and Blood (Poison Tribute) and Metal 101 so most of our time was spent at JR's.  From a performance perspective, it's a great venue for a band to play in.  There's a stage!!  That's always a plus!  You'll have to ask the musicians what their take on the acoustics of it all is though, that's not my area. 



Nice stage, huh?


Flesh and Blood
The lineup was a bit different than what I'm used to in that Flesh and Blood went on first and did a set and then alternated sets with Metal 101.  In short, neither headlined.  I've never seeen it done like that before but the audience wasn't phased in the least.

I've seen F and B on numerous occasions and I've got to tell you, the lead guitarist, Matt Forsyth, is one of the most talented musicians I've had the pleasure of witnessing.

Matt

He loves his audience and engages them from the moment he steps on stage until the last note is played.  This musician is a performer!!







Kevin Michael as Bret, gives an equally as engaging performance.  It's obvious he loves what he does.


Kevin








Jim Martinez






If you like Poison, you should check these guys out.  We had a great time!

Metal 101 was up next and this is virgin territory for me.  I'd never seen or shot this band before.  I wasn't familiar with how they moved on stage so I did a lot of running around because I couldn't anticipate their movements beforehand.

This band was hardcore heavy metal.  They were loud and, honestly, it's not my thing.  I don't feel qualified as a consumer to give an opinion on them from a musical standpoint, so I won't.  I will tell you that the venue was wall to wall people and there was a whole lotta head boppin' goin' on.  Everyone in the place seemed to know the words to every song they played.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that they were well received.  What the hell do I know?  I live under a rock. 

Performance.  Now there is a topic I can comment on.  This band had some serious hair!!!  Loving the hair!!!  Half of being a rockstar is looking the part............











This band moves well on stage, they completely engaged their audience and they were having a blast!










In my view these guys were Rockstars!!

Flesh and Metal, its a Mardi Gras party!!!  Does it get any better?

See you at the show!!

No comments:

Post a Comment