Saturday, March 31, 2012

Dash of Rock, I'm Feeling the Roll, Whole Lotta Blues Man! They've Got Soul!

Vanilla Manvelope



I stayed local for this gig.  I was over at Minglewood Tavern on Gloucester's waterfront.  Minglewood is actually part of Latitude 43, a great restaurant and worth a visit when you are in town. 



The night started out at a benefit for a local musician a few doors down.  There were 5 bands playing but, surprisingly, I wasn't having a good time so I left and forfeited the $15 cover.  Oh well, you win some, you lose some.  We trolled up the street and ended up at Minglewood.  The place was wall to wall people and, from what I've heard, this is the typical scene at this local hot spot.  The band hadn't started so we grabbed seats in the back.  They were shutting down the kitchen but I was able to catch a glimpse of a mountain of nachos as they passed me buy.  The place smelled like steak- heaven too.... hmmmm, note to self, save time to eat on the next go around.

The band started playing and I was instantly intrigued.  I grabbed my camera and made my way thru the crowd.  This isn't a big place by any stretch of the imagination so I was surprised to see that there were 6 musicians and a singer on that tiny stage. The band was called Vanilla Manvelope.  They had a soulful sound and a great undertone that kept it all together.  It was bluesy but rhythmic, it made you want to move.  I was not familiar with any of the songs they played so I'm thinking I'm either clueless or they were playing originals. Either way, I was having a great time.  They had a "jammin'" approach to their performance.  The songs just never ended.  Honestly, I think they played three songs the whole time I was there and each of them probably lasted 15 minutes or so. 
























I haven't completely finished my research on this band so I don't even have names for you.  I just wanted to throw this blog together while things were still fresh in my mind.  I'll update things once I get my act together.

Thumbs up for Vanilla Manvelope.  Catch a quick listen on my youtube channel, just follow the links to the right.

See you at the show!!

No comments:

Post a Comment